All Austin residents are invited and encouraged to participate with their neighborhoods in this national event! There are two parts to the event:
First, there is free a Kick-Off Party from 5 P.M. to 7 P.M. at Barton Creek Square Mall, in the North Downtown Overlook Parking Lot. There will be food, games, crime prevention tips, and drawings for school supplies. All are invited to participate!
From 7 P.M. to 9 P.M., events such as cookouts, block parties and neighborhood walks will occur simultaneously throughout the City of Austin and nationwide. Citizens are asked to turn on their porch lights, lock their doors and spend the evening outside with their neighbors, City Council Members, police officers, firefighters, EMS paramedics and Code Compliance.
National Night Out is designed to:
- · Promote crime and drug prevention awareness.
- · Generate support and participation in crime prevention efforts.
- · Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police/community relations.
- · Get involved in your neighborhood community.
- · Let criminals know that neighborhoods are organized and residents are fighting back.
If you would like for you neighborhood to participate, neighborhood applications are due September 13, 2013 at 5 P.M. Applications can be found here or can be e-mailed, faxed or sent in the mail upon request by calling 512-974-4900. Visit APD’s main site listing for more information.